James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 10:36:04 +0100

Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>In the end, I would guess that the answer lies in a timely combination
>of quality of composition, effective advocacy of a radical new system of
>composition, and the effect of that advocacy on a large number of important
>composers.

Schoenberg would clearly had came into music history even if he had never
invented the 12tone system.  Romantic works like the giganteous Gurrelieder
shows that he was a master of other styles too.

Marty Nickison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Listen to any work before Op.11 and some after...the afterworks are written
>in 12 tone scale, derrived Mathematically from the 8 tone scales using much
>the same formulae of Bach, and modal priciples of 16th centry counterpoint.
>To me, it doesn't sound that great tonally, but the sheet music ideas are
>very interesting!

I would say the three pianopieces op.11 was Schoenbergs first piece in
which *he* decided the new rules.  Tonality he had executed already with
his 1st Chambersymphony...when it was first performed in Stockholm 1924,
the important critic Wilhelm Peterson-Arger, had to dig deeply in his
collection of invectives, and come up with saying listeningto Schoenbergs
music was as nice as eating shit.  After op.11 Schoenberg experimented a
lot, and came a little to peace, I would say, but some won't agree with me,
in the 4th stringquartett and the violinconcerto.  Still there is much left
to say.

Some other thoughts:

I believe the common dislike of Schoenbergs technique depends on the
misunderstanding that one necessarily needs to hear and recognize the serie
that is the ground of the music, what is a rather hopeless project for an
ordinary listener (like me).  The 12tone technique is only important for
the composer and for the one who is analyzing the music.  It is a method of
composition, a tool, to build and plan music with.  The 12toneseries are as
little music as the major/minor scales Beethoven are using in his
symphonies.

As the rules of Football don't garantuee that a certain team wins, as
little the 12tone technique garatuees good music.

Schoenberg wasn't the only driving power in the development of the new
technique, hence had the Austrian Joseph Matthias Hauer at the same time
made about the same discoveries as Schoenberg, independent from him.

Perhaps anyone want to elaborate on what I have said.

James Zehm