From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 15:07:42 -0500
Listening to my car radio here today in Munich I was tuned to one of the
classical music stations, Bayern 4.  Because of the thread running here on
MCML my mind concentrated when a number conducted by Ozawa was announced.
The announcer happened to be a musicologist rather well known in our parts
and he kept at it for a good couple of minutes breathing a paean for
Ozawa's rendering of Beethoven's Third with some Japanese orchestra (didn't
catch the name).  Said it was of rare purity and rose from a very deep and
correct analysis.  Not something that others were equipped to undertake,
nor industrious enough to attempt.

It's mostly that way concerning Ozawa over here.  Maybe what's wrong is
not Ozawa, but Boston's satiety with him and hankering for a change--any
change.  Could it be that it's Carlos Kleiber that the Lowells and Peabodys
are hankering for? And while they're at it, why not reopen the Old Howard?

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]