From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 15:18:31 -0600
"William K. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>This reminds me - has anyone got a good recommendation for the Prelude to
>Tristan and Isolde, which many find frankly erotic? I loved this during
>college and have been thinking to revisit it.  I find Ravel's Piano Trio
>pretty sexy also.

Ohhhhh, yeahhhh....  Furtwaengler--there is an old live recording on Music
& Arts.  I'm at work and can't supply the number; if you're interested
mail me and I'll look it up.  It's much more ...um...  passionate than
the studio one on his Wagner compilation disc that is widely available.
The sound is of course historical.  BTW it is the Prelude and Love Death,
without singer.

I also know of a person who found Ormandy/Phildelphia's recording quite
sensual.

Another interesting take on this piece is the Tristan fantasy for
violin and orchestra by Franz Waxman.  This is available on Nadja
Salerno-Sonnenberg's recent collection "Humoresque." And she milks
it for all it is worth.

Don't forget about the final scene from Salome (Strauss), too. That's
erotic, in a way, I think...

Chris Bonds