From:
Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 15:22:08 -0800
 [Note: At least two of Robert's recent posts were distributed to the list
 appearing as though they came from me.  This is due to a problem on
 Robert's end with the configuration of his mail client.  You can always
 tell who actually wrote them by the signature at the bottom of hte message.
 I believe I've implemented a workaround on my end.  Just emphasizes the
 importance of signing your posts.  -Dave]

Aaron Rabushka <[log in to unmask]>

>I'd always thought that the filming of Bolero (the one with the LA
>Philharmonic and Mehta) should have started by showing the drummer
>rather than the flautist counting measures.

The actually _is_ a Bolero narrative film (no: _not_ 10) which is told
from the point of the view of the snare-drummer.  I'm pretty certain the
title actually is _Bolero_; & that the film was shot in France (probaly on
35mm if the print i saw was any guide) in the 1980s., it shows the drummer
flirting with a pretty percussionist & generally does everything in his
power to avoid falling down dead bored while playing the piece.

(I think it's probably safe to assume that the person who made this film
_wasn't_ a snare-drummist who had actually had the terror of playing this
piece)

On the downside (& unlike Bozzetto's Evolutionary Fantasy from _Allegro
non Troppo_, which uses the Bolero to chart the devolution of life from a
Coke bottle left behind by a visiting astronaut), the film uses an edited
(roughly 8m) version of the score. Perhaps they could come up with enough
comic business to fill a 15m timeslot....

All the best,

Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>
<http://www.ausnet.net.au/~clemensr/welcome.htm>