From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:06:49 PST
Robert Shaw wrote:

>Business has a remarkable way of seeking out buyers and profit.  In
>terms of classical music, it certainly has great potential in
>attracting new audience members.

I also find the free enterprise process remarkable, but those skeptical
of it would use adjectives far removed from "remarkable."

The only way Business can significantly attract new audience members to
classical music is by expanding the definition of classical music.  This
is a "done with mirrors" approach which I can't deny is working, but is,
in reality, of no consequence.  The "Titanic" soundtrack was categorized
as classical although it was no such thing.  This categorization did not
result in greater record sales; it merely moved income from non-classcial
to classical.  This process will not result in any increased sales or
recordings of the core repertoire.  In other words, it won't do list
members any good.

Don Satz