From:
"John G. Deacon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 08:51:15 +0100
So Jon Ellis decided, bravely, to come out on Mahler!  Now, Jon, as I told
you, start going backwards.

To get the best out of your money look for the EMI "Profile" (twofer) of
Kletzki which contains a marvellous No.4 with Emmy Loose (also includes
Sibelius 2, Tsar Sultan etc.).

The 5 Ruckert Lieder with Janet Baker/ Barbirolli is superb and a must
for anyone who likes great singing.  This can be found on a French EMI
"Rouge et Noir" 2CD set where she & JB also do the "Lieder eines fahreden
gesellen" & "Kindertotenlieder".  You also get Das Lied in the same set
(Dickie, Dieskau/ PO/ Kletzki - the first ever stereo and good sound too).

For Mahler 2 go to Klemperer.  For Nos. 1 & 3 you are open to many opinions.

Also for No.5 the Barbirolli is still very highly regarded (and still my
favourite).

Otherwise, as a beginner, I suggest you avoid "Das Lied" like the plague!
And from Sym.6 upwards - leave that until you become a neurotic too!  Then
you'll be able to revel in it!  Then, when you've done Syms.1-5, start at
Bruckner 4 and work upwards to No.9 (subject already raised here)!

John G. Deacon
Home page: http://www.ctv.es/USERS/j.deacon
PIPEDOWN - Campaign Against Piped Music http://www.btinternet.com/~pipedown