From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 12:36:00 PST
I spent a healthy amount of the weekend listening to Bach solo works
including organ, harpsichord, cello, and violin.  It just amazes me how
much he wrote, how great the melodic invention is, how his music covers
the entire range of human emotion, and how effectively he communicates
that range to the listener.

By Sunday evening, my wife asked for relief from Mr. Bach.  I need a
substitute wife when Bach is in the air.  On the other hand, my wife did
endure what must have seemed like an endless supply of Bach on her two days
off.  She does not like that man's music, except for some orchestral works
which are easy to absorb.  Sunday evening, she even cut my hair, and she
does a great job of it.  Beats the barber or hair stylist anytime.  I call
it the "loving haircut." Another great thing about it - you never know
where it will lead.  What am I going to do when my hair's gone?

Back to Bach.  Does anyone think that one or more other composers was at
a higher level than Bach for solo instrumental works?

Don Satz