From:
Jonathan Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 08:21:20 +0000
Ulvi Yurtsever wrote:

>Which Leonhardt? He has recorded Goldbergs three times, apparently.  I only
>have the second (1960s) recording (now available on Teldec), and although
>it's very good, I can't get used to the slowness of some of his tempi.
>Is this the one you are talking about?

It is, yes.  I find the tempi just about right - compare them, say, to
Tureck (which I admire very much), who does everything at a snail's pace
compared to Leonhardt.  Koopman's takes everything faster, which makes the
whole thing more exciting.  But I prefer the Leonhardt - perhaps because
I don't like my Bach done at a Chopin prestissimo.

>In Goldbergs on harpsichord I prefer Gilbert's to Leonhardt's, although
>only by a slight margin.

I find Gilbert rather flat and mechanical, certainly when I compare it
to the Leonhardt.  But then, Gilbert has never been one of my favourite
players, even though I recognise his attraction.  I think, at this level,
it all boils down to personal taste.

Jonathan