From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 13:33:50 PST
Amy Chastek wrote:

>It should be noted that Jando's #18(mozart) is even better than
>Goode's.  I can say that it ranks up there with the best of all time
>(that I've heard).  Others?

Jando and Goode are very good in Mozart's #18, but my favorite is Schiff
on London.  Other favorites are as follows:

Piano concerti before #17 - Bilson/Gardiner(Archiv).
 17 & 18 - Schiff/Vegh(London).
      19 - Perahia(Sony).
      20 - Bilson/Gardiner
      21 - Uchida/Tate(Philips).
      22 - Barenboim(EMI).
      23 - Brendel(Philips).
      24 -?(Eurodisc).
      25 - Bilson/Gardiner.
      26 - Brendel.

I just can't recall the pianist on Eurodisc, and I'm at work without any
reference materials.  My high opinion of this disc is primarily based on
the most exciting and sinister first movement I've encountered.  Schiff's
#17 and 18 are on one disc - it's a desert island disc.

I do want to point out that I've never heard a Mozart piano concerto
recording that I disliked.  There's something about these works that shines
through no matter who is playing them.  I tend to have the same reaction to
Bach cantatas on period instruments.  Of course, there's a wide distance
between "like" and "love."

Don Satz