From:
"John G. Deacon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 08:26:09 +0100
A much more amusing tale of another artist who also didn't take part in a
Culshaw recording concerned the wonderful Bastianini.

It was reported that on turning up for the sessions for the Karajan Otello
he was heard to remark "what's all this about a handkerchief?"

Karajan fired him (and we got Aldo Protti instead!).  What might have been!

Years ago at the ROH we were settled into good stalls seats for Otello
(with Vickers).  The lady in front was reading her programme.  When she'd
finished she turned to her husband and said "You should read this.  A
really dreadful story".

Charitably, I have always thought that Bastianini was being very funny
(could it be that HvK's Germanic humour couldn't take it in?).  But the
latter case is extraordinary in that one wonders how it is possible to
reach adulthood in such a state of ignorance.

John G. Deacon
Campobello, Javea: http://www.holidayhome.co.uk/deacon.html