Nick Perovich <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:31:40 -0500
Paul MacKay asks, regarding RING RESOUNDING, who was the

>... conductor who was so mad at one of Culshaw's friend and colleague,
>Christofer Jennings, that when Culshaw annouced him the death of Mr.
>Jennings he said: "God has punished him and his family, for what he
>did to me" (Culshaw, op. cit,Time inc., p.22).

and who was the

>tenor that was engaged to sing the very difficult role
>of Siegfried. He was replaced at very last minute (by Wolfgang Windgassen),
>because though he had the voice to sing Siegried, he was so ill-prepared
>when came the time of recording that Decca was forced to dismiss him.

I believe the conductor was Josef Krips.  I am sure the tenor was Ernst
Kozub.  (An otherwise excellent recent book on the RING has identified
Culshaw's "our Siegfried" with Jess Thomas, but this is an error.  The
tenor was Kozub.)

Nick