From:
Jonathan Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 08:55:41 +0000
Donald Satz wrote:

>As I said before, an orchestral musician does not pull in audiences, but
>as another list member stated, orchestras do pull them in.

I am going off subject here (although since this thread started with a
comment about James Svedja it already is!).  Don's comment underlines the
difference between orchestras and orchestral players.

What I have been asking myself is how an orchestra can create a style,
an image for itself when its components are constantly changing.  Many of
the great orchestras - Berlin Philharmonic, Vienna Philharmonic, New York
Philharmonic, Concertgebouw, BBC Symphony et al - have a unique sound,
tradition, speciality, strength - yet literally thousands of musicians have
been required to create that uniqueness over the years.

Recently I wrote a speech in which the CEO said: "The company makes
products, but the people make the company." This is patently true of
orchestras as well.

Could it be that there is, as a professor I heard recently suggests, a
"corporate memory," to which employees - read orchestral members - add
their knowledge and experience and receive, in return, the fruits of the
orchestra's history?

Jonathan