From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 17:01:36 -0500
Steven Schwartz wrote:

>They are late Hindemith (the Mass was his last complete composition) and
>they are tough as hell to perform well.  The idiom bears only a slight
>resemblance to Hindemith's two hits - the Mathis der Maler Symphony and the
>Symphonic Metamorphoses on Weber.  It's much thornier.  I reviewed another
>performance ... at  http://www.classical.net

Thanks for the tip.  I had checked out your site(s) already, and _was_
interested to see it among what you'd recommend to listeners.  (I've been
aware of those very helpful lists for some time, and one to my immense
musical benefit.)

Even so, the absence of overjoyed adjectives prompted me to canvass the
other nine-hundred-and-whatever MCMListmembers.

'Maybe I'll see if I can sample the CD at the store.  However, hearing that
this music has a "thorny" idiom, that it's "tough as hell" to perform, and
likened (at the site) to Schoenberg -- who I haven't yet been esp.  drawn
to -- suggest that maybe it won't hit the spot.

Thanks for de-lurking, however briefly; I always welcome it.

Regards,

Bert B.