From:
Allan Gotthelf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 01:40:08 EST
Someone at Gramophone Magazine has confirmed for me that the Classical
Russia Revelation label has been shut down.  Telstar, which either owned
it, or was putting out its records, has dropped it, and done so without
even a press release, apparently to avoid bad publicity.  I'm guessing that
the question is whether whomever licensed the releases in Russia had -- or
rather, at the moment, has - the rights.  But I don't know.  Gramophone
*may* do a story.  July/Aug 1998 Fanfare has an interview with the head of
the American company that had just secured distribution rights.  It's clear
from the interview that the distribution company was anticipating a suit,
and was aiming to distribute as much as possible before it happened.  Very
sad.  There's some wonderful stuff on that label.

Zack Winestine wrote:

>I'm looking in particular for a CD of performances by the pianist Yakov
>Zak (unfortunately, I don't know what music he was performing, but his
>name was featured on the disc -- this is not the RR disc devoted to Emil
>Gilels on which Zak performed 2nd piano on one piece)

Revelation 10014, which has the Gilels has Zak solo doing Saint Saens'
Carnival and Brahms' Fantasien Op. 116.

I don't see Zak prominent on any CD listed under his name at the Tower
website, which is the most comprehensive online catalogue I know.

Allan Gotthelf