From:
Jim MacCormaic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 12:50:03 +0000
Eric Schissel wrote:

>Well, I think a .bit.  more could be said about the music anyhow- the
>violin concerto, one of the loveliest I know of from this century ...
>
>(hear the for once .successful.  melding of Romantic classical, modern
>classical, and somewhat-jazz?? in the first piano concerto on Claves, if
>you can).

It's good to see Frank Martin mentioned.  Probably like most listeners,
I discovered his music through the Petite Symphonie Cencertante, which I
first heard over thirty years ago when I listened to shortwave radio and
Swiss Radio was one of my favourites.  It was well into the CD era before
I finally tracked down a recording, and I have followed with interest the
increasing number of releases of his music since then.

Unfortunately I already have alternative recordings of everything on the
Double Decca Geoffrey Gaskell mentioned -- apart from the Violin Concerto,
which I have yet to hear.  Do either of you know if other recordings are
available, or is this performance good enough to justify so much
duplication? Thanks to Eric for the Piano Concerto recommendation, which
I will certainly look into.

BTW, apart from the Petite Symphonie Concertante, my favourite Martin
works would be the Concerto for Seven Wind Instruments, the Etudes for
String Orchestra, In Terra Pax and Maria-Triptychon.  The most recent
addition to my Martin discography is the Golgotha oratorio (coupled with
the wonderful Mass for Double Choir).  I do not yet know it well enough to
make a considered judgement, but first impressions are hugely favourable.

Jim MacCormaic