From:
"John G. Deacon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:04:55 +0100
If evidence be required that the UK is, today, one of the world's most
musically backward of the advanced nations (not to put it any stronger)
this must be confirmed once and for all by the article (from today's
London Times).  Not a single title from Desert Island Discs - perhaps
those interviewed on that programme never die!?

   How Britons prefer to pop their clogs
   by Susie Steiner

   IT is not the kind of success that pop stars rave about, but the
   theme from the film Titanic has become the most popular choice of
   music at British funerals.  My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion took
   top place from last year's winner, Elton John's version of Candle in
   the Wind from the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales.

   Britain's largest funeral business, Co-operative Funeral Services,
   undertakes the annual survey from more than 30,000 services.  A
   spokesman said: "The majority of people are requesting modern songs.
   These give people the final chance to say something about themselves,
   a loved one or the world in general.  While pop songs are increasingly
   popular, they are as subject to change as the chart on the radio."
   Songs dropping out of the funeral top 10 include The Best by Tina
   Turner, Every Breath You Take by The Police and Always Look on the
   Bright Side of Life by Monty Python.

   The latest list is: 1 My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion; 2 Candle
   in the Wind Elton John; 3 Wind Beneath My Wings Bette Midler; 4 Search
   For The Hero M-People; 5 My Way Frank Sinatra; 6 You'll Never Walk
   Alone Gerry and The Pacemakers; 7 Release Me Engelbert Humperdinck;
   8 Memory Elaine Page; 9 Strangers In the Night Frank Sinatra; 10
   Bright Eyes Art Garfunkel.

   The top traditional tunes are: 1 Abide with Me ; 2 The Old Rugged
   Cross; 3 The Day Thou Gavest; 4 All Things Bright and Beautiful; 5
   Ave Maria; 6 Nessun Dorma; 7 The Lord Is My Shepherd; 8 -23rd Psalm;
   9 I Walk With God; 10 Eternal Father.

John G. Deacon
Home page: http://www.ctv.es/USERS/j.deacon