From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 07:14:32 -0600
Deryk Barker wrote:

>You think McKuen gets better critical repsonse than Nanes?

Nope.  However some of McKuen's pop pieces have had good sales.  I
guess my point was that I have rarely encountered any critical writing
of McKuen's "classical" pieces and yet I have observed many taking the
time to be critical of the music of Nanes.  I wonder why Nanes is given
any consideration in classical review journals, yet, with the possible
exception of a release on Louisville, much of the concert music efforts of
McKuen were not considered.  I was suggesting that whatever the relative
worth of his music, Nanes' pretentious self promotion has colored the
critical establishment's opinion of the music.  I recall Paul Snook once
wrote a review in Fanfare stating something like, "his music isn't anywhere
near as bad as I had been lead to believe."

Karl