Zack Winestine <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 00:27:42 -0500
Nancy Bunin wrote:

>Third- I'm amazed at the breadth of some respondents' collections.  How do
>they finance this?? And after financing their collections, how do they have
>the time to really listen to it all? Surely not all can be independently

One other secret to building a wonderful classical music collection
on the cheap:  buy a record player!  If you live near a place with some
decent used record shops (or decent thrift stores, or decent garage sales),
you'd be amazed what you can get.  I'm primarily interested in the great
performers who recorded in the '50's and '60's, and I pretty much have my
pick of everything I want for $0.50 to $2.50 a disc.  And if you have a
half-decent turntable, the sound can be superb.

Zack
the STATES OF CONTROL site
www.echonyc.com/~impulse