From:
Joseph Previte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:48:24 -0600
Jesus Pimentel asks:

>Can anyone give me a suggestion on a good recording for Scarlatti's
>sonates,...

A few recommendations, most on modern piano: Annie Queffelec on Erato
has one of the finest, most buoyant, effervescent recitals I have come
across.  Horowitz's account, of course, is historically self-recommending.
Wanda Landowska's recital on EMI with harpsichord is both historically
revealing (the bombs pounding London going off in the background of one of
the sonatas, no less) as well as brilliantly performed.  Pletnev on Virgin
has been highly recommended by many, but I was not very convinced of his
steely fingers and more cold approach.  One disc that is not as well known
that is superb is Sergei Babayan on Pro Piano. I would rate his and
Queffelec's discs as my two favorites.

JPrevite