From:
Allan Gotthelf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 23:06:31 EST
John Smyth suggests that the human condition is something objective, and
of course he is right.  But the issue is tricky.  It's true that we can
lose loved ones and that the loss is devastating.  But it's also true that
we can *have* loved ones alive and with us.  The question for metaphysics
-- the question of the human condition -- is which of these two is the
norm, the to- be-expected, the *nature* of human existence.  (I'll connect
this to music in a minute.)

Is it to be expected, as the condition of daily life, day after day,
that one will lose what one values or loves before that person's normal,
natural death (which can much more easily be dealt with)? Or is it to be
expected that one will have, along with life's normal tribulations (like
recalcitrant fellow- MCMListers), many many days of achievement, success,
love, friendship, excitement, the joy of beautiful music, etc.

I deeply believe, and would argue existentially and philosophically
for the former.  That's what I was alluding to when I spoke of the
non-superficial character of happiness and success.  It's the norm, the
to-be-expected (although of course I haven't argued for it, and this is
not the forum to do so fully).  The poverty someone spoke of has concrete
causes (including the very political views many advocates of doom and gloom
advocate).  The same for losses.  In a manner of speaking, I lost three and
a half years ago someone I loved very deeply, and I grieve for her to this
day.  But I still view that as the exception, not the norm -- and I don't
expect it to happen.  I obviously can't prove this, but I submit that were
I to lose my legs or sight or hearing in an accident tomorrow, I would
continue to view life the same way.  I would view my tragedy AS AN
ACCIDENT, not as the norm, the natural, the to-be- expected.

The relevance to music is profound.  More music is sad, is minor-keyed,
expresses darkness or pain or resignation or a sense of abandonment, etc.,
because more composers have shared some or all of the malevolent view I am
rejecting.  I agree with John Smyth's teacher to that extent.  But for
those of us who hold the view of the human condition I have described, the
view Ayn Rand called "the benevolent universe premise", that makes us
treasure all the more great music which is also deeply triumphant, and
joyous, or which preserves positive sensitivies in the face of struggle and
pain and grief, music which speaks to the glory of the human "condition".

Allan Gotthelf