From:
"John G. Deacon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 14:00:19 +0100
Nancy Bunin asked:

>.....  I have observed that 98% of communication is by men.  I'm
>puzzled- are there many more men than women who like classical music?

More, possibly, but I am certainly not sure that it can be said to be "many
more" but there is an interesting record industry statistic and that is
that 94% of CDs are purchased by men.

Surveys have also showed that CDs are listened to an average of 1.8 times.
I always wondered what that told us about the number of times people
watched classical videos that they had purchased.  Probably viewed less
than once!?

It wasn't until Victoria's Secret launched their own in-house label and
sold several million middle-of-the-road classical CDs that the industry
reckoned the statistic had been well and truly "busted" (although many must
have been bought by men!).  Probably the exception that proves the rule.

As to the question of how people's collections get so big the answer is
fairly simple.  The male of the species collects/ hoards/ makes lists etc.
and being acquisitional does things in this area that do not appeal to
females.  That goes on until you reach the age that you wish the kids would
bring a truck and start taking some of it away.  I'm must be approaching
that point but they'll not have my LD/CD/LP & book collection until I'm
gone.

I note Don Satz has his life well organised but I find I'm drawn to cooking
which I find is an ideal situation in which to listen for whilst you are
enjoying the music you are preparing something which you hope others will
enjoy later!

John G. Deacon
Home page: http://www.ctv.es/USERS/j.deacon