From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 23:01:21 -0600
Zack Winestine wrote:

>I would greatly appreciate recommendations for recordings of the Beethoven
>quartets, particularly the late quartets.

Someone mentioned the Yale quartet (I think Broadus Earle was 1st violin)
on Vanguard.  I know of only their Op. 131 and Op. 130 which I have had
on LP.  These are very worthy performances IMO.  Someone else mentioned the
Hollywood Quartet.  The set is available on Testament.  Mono, good sound,
fine performances.  They recorded these in a very fast "take."

I'm probably one of the few who is not so impressed with the Emerson
Quartet's cycle.  I don't know why, exactly.  I find them awfully intense
(maybe "hyper" is a better word) where I would prefer "robust," I suppose.

No one has mentioned the Amadeus Quartet.  I haven't checked recently to
see what is available.  I always liked them, though.

Chris Bonds