From:
"John G. Deacon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 15:15:03 +0100
The following amusing piece appeared in today's (London) Daily Telegraph
above the signature of  Auberon Waugh (son of Evelyn).

   Our great hope

   Some years ago, I wrote that the arrival of Classic FM, the radio
   station playing classical music 24 hours a day, was the most hopeful
   social development in Britain in the past 20 years.  Millions of
   people in every walk of life have discovered an enthusiasm for
   classical music which transforms their outlook and sweetens their
   lives.

   Now we learn that it has a soothing influence on children and encourages
   them to be better behaved and work more effectively in class.  Radio
   3 might be as effective, except that being presented by the BBC it
   feels bound to include modern music, which is generally much uglier.

   It is well known that popular music, which is as addictive as
   alcohol, has the effect of reducing its devotees to something scarcely
   recognisable as human.  My only fear is that once the progressive
   teachers get it into their muddled heads that classical music is good
   for children, especially those from poor or disadvantaged backgrounds,
   they will start playing the music of modern composers such as Harrison
   Birtwistle or Philip Glass.

   This can only puzzle the children, and might persuade them to insult
   their teachers and scribble rude messages on the wall.

John G. Deacon
Home page: http://www.ctv.es/USERS/j.deacon