From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 16:09:04 PST
Jon Johanning wrote:

>On the other hand, there are also female posters who can fend for
>themselves quite expertly, too!  In any case, I also miss the
>presence of some of the women who used to visit quite often.

I can't say that I miss any particular person, but I would love for female
list members to post more frequently.  Women bring different perspectives
to issues discussed, and that increases the diversity of the postings.
More than that, women are great; I wouldn't want to be without them.

>As for getting time to listen to all their new recordings, we have
>discussed this before, and the answer seems to be -- they don't
>actually listen to more than a fraction of them.

Is this fraction large or small? Yes, we did discuss this before, but my
recollections are far different than Jon's.  As I remember it, one list
member indicated a major problem; all others had their own methods of
insuring sufficient listening to new discs.

It makes sense.  Let's say that the typical serious collector buys an
average of two recordings a day - that's about 3 hours a day of listening.
The serious collector listens to music much more than 3 hours a day.  So,
there's plenty of time for new discs and others in the collection.  I just
got home today from work, and I've already listened to 4 hours of music.
The only problem is that the folks I work with keep barging into my office;
my remedy is to not listen to "demanding" music at work.  I stick with what
I know very well and a generous portion of baroque and classical era music.

I'm not denying the addictive aspects of record collecting.  But, it's an
addiction which does not have to wipe out the money supply or result in
reams of discs not played.  The larger problem is "space." We need to find
a user friendly celestial body.  That's a good reason to support the Space
Program.

Don Satz