From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 15:29:49 -0500
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>With Valentine's day approaching, this seems like as good a time as any for
>this inquiry.  Last night we were listening to Dvorak's Romance for violin
>and orchestra.  A friend asked what the origin and form of a "Romance" are.
>My music references had next to nothing on it.  Anyone with insight? Also,
>any other favorite prime examples of the form? Thanks.

The form of the romance is basically a very simple "Lied form", ABA, or
even A (...) in some cases.  As for its origin, it seems that the first
romances were sung, and originated in medieval songs (chansons de geste),
or rather in a fanciful vision of the Middle-Age with gentle ladies and
charming love affairs.  However, this French vocal form was later adopted
for instrumental music and spread throughout Europe.

Other romances for violin and orchestra include some Nordic ones, such as
Svendsen's fresh piece, by no means a summary of his art but still lovely,
Stenhammar's "Two sentimental romances" which are much more poetic and even
vigorous than mawkish, real gems indeed, or Saeverud's very original and
endearing romance, displaying a surprising variety of moods and colours,
with a blend of elliptic motives and bold gestures.

For Valentine, I'm afraid these pieces will remain outsiders, but then one
can still enjoy them all alone.

Best wishes,

Thanh-Tam Le