From:
Jan McDaniel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 14:09:22 -0600
Steven Schwartz wrote:

>This new version [of Lindbergflug] also premiered in 1929, this time at
>the Kroll Opera.  Weill and Brecht sent a presentation copy of the score
>to Lindbergh "with great admiration."

I was fortunate to have been involved in a performance of "Der
Lindbergflug" in Osnabruck during the 1984-1985 season.  The work was
staged as a ballet, with a solo male dancer representing Lindbergh and a
troupe of other dancers with long strips of cloth as wind, fog, and other
elements.  The chorus was onstage and costumed, although they remained
stationary.

Even sitting in the pit at the piano, I was struck by the power of the
piece.  The program also featured the ballet company in Copland's Music for
the Theatre and Bernstein's Three Dance Episodes from "On the Town." As an
American conductor and coach working in nearby Detmold, I had been hired
because of my familiarity with the American keyboard idiom.  Unfortunately,
the aged conductor was not quite so comfortable with the jazz-inspired
rhythms in the Copland and Bernstein.

Jan McDaniel
Division of Musicology and Music Theory
University of North Texas