From:
Richard Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 15:27:54 -0500
Naxos has a few youthful indescretions to live down.  A couple of years
ago they released a new and generally excellent Beethoven cycle to replace
their original, deplorably one.  They seem to be doing the same thing with
Sibelius symphonies now, though the new ones, by the Iceland Symphony under
someone whose name I can't remember, are only a mixed improvement over the
old.  I agree they should redo their Brahms symphonies.  On the other hand,
considering how much trouble even the majors have turning out really
satisfying recordings of the Brahms, it's hard to say just where they might
go looking for better interpretations.

Richard Todd <[log in to unmask]>