From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 09:21:14 PST
I have Jarrett's Well-Tempered Clavier, Handel suites, and Shostakovich
preludes and fugues.  Jarrett did Bach's Book 1 on piano and Book 2 on
harpsichord.  I found Jarrett very good in this repertoire.  In my opinion,
he provides as "seamless" an interpretation as I've heard.  This has
advantages and disadvantages, but was certainly distinctive.  The same
goes for his Handel disc.

Concerning Jarrett's Shostakovich, he does a good job.  However, I found
the acoustic to be "neutral." The acoustic for Nikolayeva on Hyperion was
much more to my liking - somewhat remote and stark.

Overall, any recording issued by Jarrett would get my serious attention.

Don Satz