HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"L. D Mouer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 11:22:45 -0400
Sometimes I think the common "cornerstone" ceremony is a remnant of a
similar ritual...in fact I've always wanted to go remove the cornerstones
of old buildings and see what was sealed in with them!  In excavating a
19th-century store at the river port of Bermuda Hundred in Virginia, I
found evidence I interpreted as possibly being some sort of ritual. The
store had been constructed around 1800, but an addition had been added, in
the 1840s or early 1850s. The main store was a stone-foundation building,
but the addition had been frame set on brick piers. At the northeast
corner tucked inside the "elbow" of the corner pier were carefully laid
four small (about 1/2 liter?) "wine" bottles--perhaps they had contained
port originally. One of these was partly intruding into, or out of, the
pierhole. The bottles themselves would have been of some value, even if
their contents had been consumed, so I don't believe this careful laying
of whole bottles at the corner of the building was simply trash disposal.
Instead I think these bottles were the vessels that toasted the beginning
of construction of the building...the equivalent of laying the
cornerstone. Similar dedication ceremonies are found throughout the world.

Dan Mouer
Virginia Commonwealth University
http://saturn.vcu.edu/~dmouer/homepage.htm