Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 09:38:08 -0500
From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Mong H. Jong wrote:

>For Chopin:Nocturnes,what about Arrau,Barenboim,Harasiewicz? I have
>Arrau's,the later two are what I thought I would like to have in the near
>future.  Or I should first appreciate Pires's? I really need somebody
>kindly give me some recommendation..

After hearing yet another enchanting Chopin Nocturne on the radio years
ago, I went out looking for a collection by Artur Rubinstein, thinking he'd
have the right pianistic touch for it (based on hearing him 'do' Debussy on
an old set of 78s).  There was nothing by him, so I instead settled for the
Barenboim bargain double (Deutsche Grammophon 437 464 2); I'd never heard
of him, but I wanted some Chopin and thought it might do OK.

Well, I've never looked back; I've got no other version, but I don't see
the need.  This set is a favourite item in my collection.  ...which means
that this posting might've fit equally well in the Barenboim the genius!
thread _or_ in the one about Perfect CDs.

I can't provide a comparative assessment, but I don't see how you could go
wrong with it.

Bert B