Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 16:54:24 -0500
From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Tony Duggan posted from the (London) Sunday Times:

>Forget Elgar the Edwardian. Freed from his period he stands revealed
>as a great artist and, as DAVID CAIRNS reports, he is now more popular
>than ever, both here and around the world

I heard the US premier of the Elgar Third in Philadelphia.  It was a
splendid performance better than the recording, mainly, I think, because
Andrew Davis has really grown with the work.

Later I went to the Tower down there, one of the big classical Towers in
the States.  The manager told me that the Third was a leading seller and
that Elgar (and Mahler) were huge these days.  Interesting.  What with the
rediscovery of Schreker, Zemlinksy, et al.  it seems that many people are
desperately looking back for "new" music, having rejected the music of
their own age.  But the greatest irony of all is their looking back and
reaching into the grave of a composer long considered superannuated for
what may be the best "new" piece in decades.

This will probably offend some.  It is not meant to, nor to start an
argument.  It is just a statement of observation and feeling over which
I have no control.

Roger Hecht