Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 08:59:45 +0100
From:
Ruben Stam <[log in to unmask]>
Don Satz wrote:

>Last night I listened to the Brahms clarinet quintet and sonatas. ...
>the time I was half-way through these works, my mood had changed to one of
>satisfaction, calm, and readiness to face existing and new life problems.
>
>Do any list members share these feelings about the Brahms works? Any other
>pieces which result in this great frame of mind?

Ah, the cello sonatas, piano trios, and many of the Lieder (examples:
'Mit Vierzig Jahren', 'Todessehnen', 4 Ernste Gesaenge).  In the latter the
effect is even stronger because words and music reinforce eachother.  But
I must admit that similar feelings are brought up by Schubert, and Bach,
and Rachmaninov, and...

Ruben