Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 20:33:46 PST
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Tim Dickinson wrote:

>This is the only music that I've heard from this composer, but this
>piece was a very pleasant surprise - I did not expect music this
>good from someone so obscure.

Hasse did write very good music, and Tim might be glad to know that there's
much more of it recorded.  I don't keep my collection in any order, so I
can't give a detailed discography.  I know that the SCHWANN Opus is missing
many of Hasse's recordings.

There's the Opera "Cleofide" on a 4-disc Capriccio set(price isn't bad);
this opera has some of the most beautiful arias in the baroque era.  Emma
Kirby and William Christie are the big names in the production.  Capriccio
also released a 2-disc set of another Hasse opera named Piramo e Tisbe.
Opus 111 released a disc of Hasse motets.  I have 2 or 3 Hasse sacred works
on CPO.

I'd start with Cleofide - it's Hasse at his best, and at his best, he's
the equal of Telemann and just a notch or two below Bach and Handel.

Don Satz