Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 20:52:07 GMT
From:
"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>
Ulvi Yurtsever <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Well, Barenboim gets a lot of flak, some deserved some undeserved.  He is
>no genius, but has made some worthy records both as pianist and conductor.
>I like his late Beethoven sonatas from the digital cycle (on DG), and much
>of his chamber music contributions on record (including the Brahms lieder
>disc with Norman, already mentioned) are excellent.

His coupling with Klemperer on EMI for Beethoven's complete piano concertos
remains my favorite set, although Stephen Kovacevich remains my favorite
individual pianist.

Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Personally, I have particular fondness for Barenboim's Beethoven and
>Mozart piano interpretations, and his conducting of Wagner.  He even
>makes Mendelssohn sound fairly good.

Critics trashed, or mildly disliked, Barenboim's traversal of Bruckner.
I found his temperament exactly to my liking.

D. Stephen Heersink
San Francisco