Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 23:35:06 -0400
From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Ben Palmer wrote:

>I respect Sir Simon Rattle's determination to stay in England.  I have a
>favorite candidate, but who else should be considered for major orchestras?

Perhaps he could be understood as non-cooperating with the modern
phenomenon of the rootless conductor, roaming the world like the Flying
Dutchman.  In that case, I would say, more power to him.  Still, he would
be a great catch.

The Philadelphia Inquirer had an article the other day suggesting that
the orchestra was having a hard time coming up with a replacement for
Sawallisch who would be charismatic enough to swell the dwindling audience,
and that they might have to settle for some sort of troika, although I
can't understand how 3 conductors would be better than one, or even how
such an arrangement might work.  I don't know about the dwindling audience
-- the Academy seems full enough to me whenever I go, but I'm not able to
examine their books.

Actually, I think it's about time for an American -- better still, an
American woman.  That would certainly attract attention.  But I can't think
of a specific candidate.

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]