Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:14:18 -0500
From:
Rosemary Ceravolo <[log in to unmask]>
Douglas Purl wrote:

>The work of a child is to play.  Play is a serious business by which the
>mind and character and morals are formed, as is the body as well.  It is
>business best transacted with peers.  Though adults and their values have
>a crucial part in the development of a successful human being, so too do
>childish juvenile peers in the crucibles of childhood and adolescence.
>
>I am sensible of the argument that the results justify the means.  "You
>will thank me someday for the abuses I inflict on you now."  It is the
>binding of feet.

I must agree with Doug here.  I'm reading "Hilary and Jackie," formerly
known as "A Genius In The Family," written by Hilary and Piers, sister
and brother of Jacqueline du Pre, which is the source for the current film
about Jacqueline and what her siblings could make of her life and marvelous
gifts as a cellist.

There's no doubt that Iris du Pre, their mother, was a determined and
ambitious teacher of her prodigy-child, Jackie, and went to great lengths
to accomodate what she assumed were necessary adjustments of both reality
and play, in the rearing of Jackie's talent, rather than her true
personality.

I'm sure Jacqueline's husband, Daniel Barenboim, who was also a
prodigy but on the piano, was reared by his parents with the same kind
of over-attentiveness to his gifts, instead of being allowed to develop as
a full and mature human being as well.  His character when he was married
to Jackie, at least, resembled Woody Allen's.

Their marriage was an emotional disaster.  Jackie may have been driven mad
by Danny, in fact.  She probably retreated into MS in desperation at being
unable to voice her own intentions, aspirations, and predilections for
their life together.  Apparently, he had no interest in or comprehension
of her other than her abilities as a cellist.  They performed non-stop all
over the world together.

Granted, du Pre and Barenboim made beautiful music together.  But I can't
help pondering at what cost to Jacqueline's mental and physical health.
I'm now aware of the reasons behind Jacqueline du Pre's brilliant
performances.  The cello became her voice, the only one that allowed her to
express every passion and longing she couldn't convey in her life.  Those
closest to her only heard her cello and let the real woman suffer and die.

Rosemary