Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 18:58:15 -0500
From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
This musician's Violin Concerto (1965) appears on a reissue CD of Yehudi
Menuhin's versions of Lennox Berkeley's and Andrzej Panufnik's violin
concerti (EMI CDM 5 66121 2).  I've omitted mentioning the 'Sir' and
'Lord' preceding all these names ...but Williamson's.  As far as I know,
fame is something else he does not share with them either, to say nothing
of a half-decent discography.

My internet search has only produced a Piano Concerto #2, a gratifying
discovery that confirms my liking of this Australian-born musician, and
even leads me to reconsider:  maybe the piano is his instrument.

The violin concerto is rather oddly shaped, with two slow outer movements
embracing a central scherzo.  The closing adagio molto peters out curiously
in a pensive, even intense solo.  There is joy, even playfulness in this
concerto, but on the whole it's reflective, even sad.  The piano concerto,
from 1960, is spirited and melodically rich, and fun seems to me to be its
keynote (parodying his own works from around that same time, according to
MW himself -- say the liner notes).

This is approachable music that isn't lightweight, and it's full of
intriguing passages that require interpreters with technical proficiency
and plenty of feeling.  I would have thought he'd be better known, and am
puzzled by his poor representation on CDs -- although the booklet to the
piano concerto mentions a "large output of symphonies, chamber music,
operas and oratorios...  [and] no fewer than four piano concertos to date."
Born in Sydney in 1931, he became Master of the Queen's Music in 1975, and
has been awarded a CBE and other honours.

Can anyone fill me in about this composer?

Thanks in advance.

Bert Bailey, in Ottawa