Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 10:09:06 -0800
From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Scott Morrison wrote:

>Some recent newspapers ads trumpeting Andre Previn's upcoming appearances
>(playing jazz) in Kansas City, refer to him as 'Sir Andre Previn', which
>is offensive to many Americans.  He's an American citizen, has never been
>a British citizen, and by law and custom Americans cannot be designated
>'Sir'.  ...

Like they were perhaps by Duke Ellington, Count Basie and Earl Hines.  Not
to mention King Vidor and The Artist Formerly Known as Prince.  (This is a
joke.....)

It IS incorrect for Previn to be styled "Sir" Andre irrespective of
American sensibilities.  The Award was Honorary so he can be Andre Previn
KBE if he so chooses.  I have more than a suspicion that the days of titles
are numbered even for those of us born in The Sceptred Isle, however.

Tony Duggan
Staffordshire,
United Kingdom.