Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 09:57:05 +1000
From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Michael Lehrman, writing of the Monteux Damnation of Faust on BBC Legends:

>...  My guess is that Michel Roux was the last minute substitute.  The man
>does not posses a singing voice, I could hardly tell if his was a tenor,
>bass, or baritone.

That may be.  Monteux also did Romeo and Juliet at about the same time
for Westminster, now on Millennium but with David Ward as Friar Laurence.
However, Roux sang Mephistopheles in Markevitch's abridged DG Damnation in
1958, a version which often gets a run in comparative reviews and, IMHO,
deservedly so!  Roux sounds fine to me.

Richard Pennycuick