Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 05:34:33 -0500
From:
Eric Kisch <[log in to unmask]>
Bernard Gregoire writes in his defense of Ozawa:

>His conducting of traditional classical material of Brahms, Beethoven and
>Mozart has evolved from poor 25 years ago to acceptable to good today.

Jeez - some defense!  If I had 25 years to learn the basic repertoire I
might be able to come up with some acceptable performances too -- and I'm
only an armchair conductor!

If the odds of coming up wiht a memorable performance are 500 to 1, then
over 25 years, there wouldbe several memorable concerts that people can
cite.  However, I don't think this is enough to justify leadership of such
a great orchestra for so long.  I wonder what the real story is behind his
long tenure in Boston.

Eric