Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:05:06 -0500
From:
Stirling S Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
Mimi Ezust wrote:

>Does anyone else know this composer? Have any favorites? This is the first
>piece of his that I have encountered.
>
>And who is Ivan?  A relative?  [An uncle I think.  -Dave]

Nikolai Tcherpnin - Russian Composer

Alexander Nikolavich Tcherpnin Russian Composer who went to China and then
to the US. Wrote lots of piano music.

Ivan Tcherpnin - composer of electronic and traditional concert music at
Harvard, died last year.

Stirling Newberry

 [To clarify a bit, I was thinking of the Taneyevs (Alexander Sergeievich
 1850-1918 was the uncle of Sergei Ivanovich 1856-1915) when I made my
 comment above.  The Tcherepnins were related too.  Nicolai (1873-1945)
 was the father of Alexander (1899-1977).  Ivan (1943-1998), director
 of the Harvard Computer Music Center from 1972 until his death, was
 related as well, but I don't recall the exact relationship (I'd guess
 son of Alexander, but with my track record lately...).

 FWIW, I use these two families as something of a litmus test for the
 competence of the staff at the stores where I shop.  If they are all
 relegated to one slot, I tend to think the staff doesn't know what they
 are doing, which is unfortunately the norm these days.  -Dave]