Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 14:15:13 -0500
From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Bob Kasenchak wrote:

>...Enrique Granados wrote a set of pieces for piano (often transcribed
>for other instruments called "Danzas espanolas".  The number of these
>pieces seems to be in question; many sources list 9, Schwann lists 10
>(10 are often recorded) and a few recordings even offer a #11, called
>'Arabeska' but that I cannot find.  I currently have a version (for 2
>guitars) of the 1st 9, but I need some info on this numbering system.
>Anyone?

My version of the Danzas Espanolas, by Alicia de Larrocha, includes 12.

Excepting #s 8, 9 11 and 12, all have different dedicatees; these include
musicians (Cesar Cui, for #7), royalty (la Infanta Isabel, #10) and others.
Excepting #3, which has no nickname, most are nicknamed after some
geographical area (#5 is "Andaluza," referring to Andalucia; #8 is
"Asturiana," re Asturias; etc.), and some are nicknamed after kinds of
music (#1 is "Minueto;" #9 is "Mazurca;" #10 is "Danza triste").  The liner
notes explain, however, that these characterizations vary according to the
editions of the works, they sometimes conflict, and, in any case, that they
were not the composer's idea.

The notes also say that the Danzas appeared in four books of three pieces
each, so there seems no uncertainty about their number.  In this collection
(Decca 433 923-2), "Arabesca" is ascribed to #12.

As you say, this music was composed for piano. I'm not sure just who
transcribed these works for guitar(s), but it may well have been some other
composer or arranger.

'Hope this helps.

Bert Bailey, in Ottawa