Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 18:29:53 -0800
From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Peter Harzem ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>I have wondered for many years why it cannot be so in the US.  It is not
>because of wealth, -the British are not richer- not because there is not
>enough number of people who would welcome such things in the US -the
>population is so much smaller in the UK- and not because technology is not
>available in the US.  What is getting in the way? Does it have something to
>do with fundamental cultural values? (But, dear God, not the slogan 'family
>values!')

I have remarked before - probably on this very list - that North
American culture and particularly US culture, is almost fanatically
anti-intellectual and opposed to anything which smacks of intellectualism.

Why this should be, I'm not sure.  Something to do with the pioneers
spirit? Getting away from everything those effete Europeans stood for?

Except that the phenomenon seems more recent than that. When Stokowski
arrived in the US (according to Chasins' biography) very middle class
household had a piano, Stokie found himself in a very musical country.

For all thed accusations that have been thrown its way, I think Joseph
Horowitz's book "Understanding Toscanini" has light to shed on this
cultural (or anti-cultural) phenomenon.

Perhaps its as simple as this: there is no (or not enough) money to be
made in it...

Deryk Barker