Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 09:51:01 -0500
From:
Mark Seeley <[log in to unmask]>
Steven Schwartz wrote:

>A Szell fanatic

Me, too!

>I grew up in Cleveland during the Szell years.

Me, too. . . although the only performance I can barely recall was a Haydn
symphony during the first years of Blossom in 1968 or 69 during my junior
high school days.

>Many, I believe, mistook this care for emotional coldness.  I confess I
>have no idea what they're talking about.  He was elegant, but never cold.

Consider his wonderful recording of Mozart sonatas for violin and piano
with his concertmaster, Rafael Druian

He made a funny quip about why his Mozart could not be warmer in tone.  He
said something to the effect that he could not "pour chocolate sauce over
asparagus."

>The Mahler he did was superb.

Especially the 9th!!!

Mark