Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 16:58:52 +0100
From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Bart Gerritse wrote:

>Philip, what are your favourites?

This is so difficult to answer.  There are a lot of good recordings out
there and I love them all for different reasons.  I can't pin two or three
down as *the best* (which is only my choice anyway).  A short list of great
interpretations IMO:

- Anders/Weissenborn
- Dermota/Dermota (their first effort, 1963)
- Dieskau/Demus (and the 1963 with Moore comes very close)
- Holl/Grubert
- Hotter/Moore (but Hotter's other recordings except the one with Werba are
almost as good)
- Huesch/Mueller
- Lehmann/Ulanovsky
- Patzak/Demus
- Pears/Britten
- Prey/Bianconi
- Quasthoff/Spencer
- Schmitt-Walter/Leitner (*who* has the other one with Hubert Giesen?)
- Souzay & Baldwin (first version)
- Tauber/Spoliansky (only 12 songs so no cycle really but WOW! And what's
worse, there is a persistent rumour that somewhere in the vaults of a German
broadcasting company a DSG by Tauber can be found.....tantalizing thought...)

Philip