Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 08:55:36 +0100
From:
Ruben Stam <[log in to unmask]>
Ian Crisp wrote:

>I'm curious as to how many people on the list have access to such a breadth
>of live music and performers at reasonable prices (and by "access", I mean
>that I could drive from home to any Glasgow venue in 45 minutes, or an hour
>for Edinburgh). ...
>
>seems to me that central Scotland might be one of the very best places on
>the planet for a classical music enthusiast to base him/herself, and
>there's a lot about the musical life up there that I miss.

The situation is arguably even more rosy in Holland, partly because
of its high population density, partly because of a long tradition of
public support for the arts and music education.  From my abode in Utrecht,
in the centre of the country (home of the Orchestra of the 18th Century,
Radio Orchestras), I can be in Amsterdam in 30 minutes (home of the
Concertgebouw, Baroque Orchestra, Bach Soloists, New Sinfonietta,
Netherlands Opera), in The Hague in 45 minutes (home of the Netherlands
Philharmonic) and Rotterdam in about an hour (home of the Rotterdam Phil.).
There are also many lesser know regional orchestras within driving
distance, one of which (the 'Orkest van het Oosten' under Jaap van Zweden)
is touring the U.S.  right now after a successful Carnegie Hall debut.  But
I understand they changed their name to something more appealing than
'Orchestra of the East' for the occasion.  I am well aware how lucky I am
compared to those, say, who are currently marooned in the Montana Rockies.

Ruben