Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 21:08:41 +0000
From:
Jonathan Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Donald Satz about highly paid conductors:

>It's acceptable to me because it makes sense.  "Stars" pull in audiences;
>orchestra members do not.  For Levine to make a huge fee, someone or some
>entity must be agreeable to paying it.

Today an interview with Anner Bijlsma, the Dutch cellist, appeared in my
local paper to mark the performer's 65th birthday.  He had this to say
about conductors: "Frankfurters with a lot to say for themselves and who
earn far too much, especially when you consider that you never hear them."

Jonathan