Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 08:37:07 -0500
From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Shane Wesley wrote:

>Yes it is true, CM enthusiaists are a dying breed.  You can't really blame
>Tower for their shrinking selection.  They can't really afford to keep up
>a large one if no one is buying.

This thread is driving me nuts!  Some people say CM CDs sell like bikinis
at the South Pole, and others that there is a CM boom on.  Perhaps a lot
of the confusion is due to varying local conditions, and there is also a
possibility that some (who knows how much) business is flowing away from
physical stores to the Web stores.  I have a feeling that it will be very
difficult to get accurate information about CM sales because (a) the CM
market is such a small fraction of the total recording business that no one
bothers to track it diligently enough and (b) the boundary between CM and
other types of music is so fuzzy that the statistics that are available
don't mean anything anyway, as is evidenced by what turns up on the CM "Top
Ten" lists.

All I can say is, as long as Naxos is raking it in, somebody out there must
be buying CM!

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]