Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 08:52:03 +0100
From:
Ruben Stam <[log in to unmask]>
Derek Lim wrote:

>I'm doing a presentation about how Western music has influenced 20th
>century Chinese music, and I would like to ask for some help on this.
>In particular: Did any major composers mention their impressions of
>Chinese music, and did any attempt to portray Chinese-ness through their
>music?

Mahler's 'Lied von der Erde' was inspired by German translations of Chinese
poetry (or perhaps they were a German's conception of Chinese poetry, I
forget).  The music to me doesn't sound obviously Chinese, although the
Chinese 'atmosphere' in the poems is served quite well by Mahler's European
music.  I have a more detailed article lying around somewhere if you're
interested, but the first line of your question seems to indicate that you
are more interested in Chinese composers that were influenced by Western
music.

Ruben