Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 05:30:19 PST
From:
Robin Newton <[log in to unmask]>
Kevin Sutton wrote:

>... he sounds as if he ranks right up there with my own personal favorite
>idiot, Norman Lebrecht.

Lebrecht's style is extremely readable and he often presents his subjects
(particularly in his books) in a tabloid, gossipy light.  This does make
his writing fun to read but, since he doesn't refrain from making personal
judgments, it can often be aggravating.

This style doesn't prevent Lebrecht from making perceptive remarks.  In his
book 'The Corporate Murder of Classical Music' he highlights an absolutely
central problem for music in the late 20th Century - the apparent greed of
mainstream artists.

His examination of the cost of artists and the involvement of agents in
these costs is extremely pertinent.  The fact that he does discuss actual
cases (Pavarotti, Levine, Fleischmann, Holt, most of CAMI etc.) can easily
be seen as salacious.  But it can also be seen as trying to break the
barriers of gentleman's agreements and secrecy that separate the superstars
from the orchestral musicians he defends.

It seems unfair to brand Lebrecht an idiot because of his approach to
a difficult and important subject.  He makes public statements which are
sometimes wrong and often correct.  He's not a quiet man who fits into the
system and for that alone we should cherish him.

Robin Newton